Friday, September 4, 2009

And the seasons, they go round and round....



Circles on circles on squares was much more labor-intensive than I originally planned, all the while humming the song Circle Game. My friend Carol Forster helped sew (by hand) little running stitches around the outside edge of 40 circles. Then I pulled a thread of each circle to cinch in the outside edge, turn it under, and stitch it flat. Circle Game. I finally stopped, went to my computer, and looked up the lyrics so I could sing all the words with the melody: http://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/joni-mitchell/circle-game.htmlme.html Then I had to review all the Joni Mitchell songs on the album Ladies of the Canyon. This took me on a trip down Memory Lane with more and more songs, each one manifesting in a visual image of an art quilt. Now to take them out of my head and translate them into fabric compositions. Joni Mitchell has recently built herself a home in British Columbia, probably filled wall-to-wall with her own artwork (paintings.) Joni, if you hear me, I have Circle Game for you....








Tom wasn't around in those days, but he would have enjoyed seeing painted ponies going up and down.

1 comment:

  1. Addendum: Can a blogger post a comment to her own blog? Okay, I will. My college friend Elizabeth Walters gave me the book "Girls Like Us" chronicling the lives of Joni Mitchell, Carole King, and Carly Simon. Now I love "Circle Game" all the more, by putting into context of Joni's self-determined life...ever-creating, feeling, loving, and working her gifts.

    ReplyDelete